Alphabet Photography (Part Three)

Having completed the Alphabet Photograph task, I am aware of certain things that might have turned out better if they had been conducted differently. The first of these is that Tina and I used different cameras to take our photographs which resulted in different sized photographs at different resolutions. Whilst this is not a major problem in terms of appearance, it was certainly time consuming when it came to re-sizing the files to suite the others. (There was also an issue with portrait/landscape photos, though only a minute amount were landscape so it wasn’t too much of an issue to re-size them).

Although I think that the theme of our alphabet was interesting, it might have been easier to find nicer letters if we hadn’t limited ourselves to purely household items. Regardless of this, I still think that we compiled a good set of letters.

On the whole, however, I think that Tina and I did a good job with this task and that the majority of our letters are very clear as to what they are.

Alphabet Photography (Part Two)

A B C D E(2) FG H I J K LM N o P Q r S(2) T U(2) v W X Y Z

Above are the twenty six letters that Tina and I managed to find that followed the theme of ‘household items’. Some of the letters proved challenging to find due to our household limitation, though we managed to find each letter after a few days of searching for them. The letter that proved the most difficult to find was ‘G/g’, which we ended up using a tin can for in the end (it’s difficult to see it at first but the curves and indents on the lid form the letter).

To see if our alphabet was easy to read, I formed our names from the letters in order to take them out of the ordered structure. Some letters are definitely easier to read than others, though I think we did a good job in finding clear and visible letters in our houses.


Once Tina had sent me all of her letters, I decided to edit the photos in Photoshop to take away the distracting colours from each piece. I lowered the saturation by 70% as well as offsetting the photos slightly to darken the shadows. I think that the final set works well together in this way and that you can see the link between each photo.


Alphabet Photography (Part One)

For our first task (excluding the induction tasks!) we have been asked to take abstract photographs of what we perceive as letters from the alphabet. The purpose of this task is to broaden our depth of perception towards the world around us in order to help develop our creativity.The task states that we should work in pairs, though we were given the choice to work alone as well. I chose to work with Tina for this task, as we both had the idea of following a ‘household objects’ theme. Initially, we thought that it might be a good idea to find thirteen letters each, though some letters are much harder to find than others so we scrapped this idea. In the end we decided to just search for all twenty six between us and compile our results at the end . My current letters are a mix of uppercase and lowercase, which I think fits with the ‘abstract’ theme of the task.


For inspiration, I decided to browse through the website to see some professional photographs. I found that most of the images followed a certain theme (architecture, for instance) and that this helped bring the photographs together as a whole. I think that most people in our seminar group have decided to go for an outdoors theme of construction or nature, so our household theme will hopefully look quite different.

Once we have found every letter of the alphabet, I plan to arrange them all into a grid format and edit them accordingly to look as if they are part of a set. I really like the low-saturation levels in the examples found on, as the colours do not distract you from the letters themselves. I hope to do something similar to this for our final collage.


Blakeley, J., and WISE, M., 2007. Alphabet Photography UK [online]Available from: [October 2nd 2014]