I now feel ready to start developing my design ideas for the poster. It seemed only logical to start with my ideas for the ‘title’ part of the poster, as this would be the only section that included text. I wasn’t able to acuratly portray my design idea in my sketchbook, though the rough layout is there.
For the ‘Water’ part of the title, I want to try and incorporate a tap into the ‘t’ so that a drop of water can be falling out of it. I also want to attach arrows to the ‘Cycle’ part of the title so that both key words follow a pictorial theme and blend in with the rest of the poster.
After playing around in Illustrator, I decided to add a rain-cloud to either side of the title, as well as some sun rays behind the text to bring the colours together. After showing my designs to a few of my friends, they told me that the word ‘Water’ looked strange because there was too much of a gap in-between the ‘t’ and the ‘e’, as well as saying that the ‘t’ didn’t look like a tap until I pointed it out to them. I want my poster to be as clear as possible, which means the title, being the first thing that my audience will see, has to be clear.
My first solution was to try moving the letters closer together and have the water drop overlap the ‘e’ instead of falling into empty space. This didn’t work for two reasons: the first was that the drip blended in to the ‘e’, as the colours were too similar in hue, and the second was that this didn’t solve the issue of the ‘t’ not looking enough like a tap.
My next solution to this was to change the letter that was meant to be the tap. The ‘r’ was a much better letter choice, plus that also meant that there would be no awkward spacing in-between letters. This removed the center alignment of the title from the page, though that was a small price to pay for making the title much clearer. I also removed the question from the title, leaving it as just “The Water Cycle”, as I received feedback from one of my seminar leaders that the question made the poster feel far too literal.